Friday, February 15, 2013

Errandonnee - birding & reckoning

The day's errandoneuring began spectacularly. Family ride off to a local park to bird watch and participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count.



Grocery shopping that night, thankful for the bike rack (the second that I know of in town), and thinking how pleasant that it's well lit.


On the way home, I was speculating how great it is to live in a town where I get a minimum of three feet (usually cars give me the entire lane) from passing cars. People are so darn nice to bicycles here. They even stop on the highway when they have the right away so I can cross the street! I've been thinking about it a lot lately, how safe it feels, and wondering if I'm jinxing myself. Whether  the population is 9,000 or 220,000, where ever I've lived, I've never been subjected to an intentionally aggressive driver in nearly 20 years of riding.

Until tonight. 

I'm still trying to decompress and process what happened. And still waiting to hear back from the police.

one Cateye 5 led light up front, 2 red lights (one flashing, one solid) on back

My lighting is legit and legal, plus plenty of reflectors. We're planning on adding something to the back to increase visibility.

I'll post more about the incident later, I need to sleep on it.

Completed
Errands: Wild Card & Grocery
Mileage: 4.43 miles
1 ride in the dark

To Go - 5 days
Errands: 3 remaining
Mileage: 17.51 miles
1 ride in the dark

No comments:

Post a Comment